FORTRESS CITY PENZA was founded in 1663 under Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich as an outpost on the southeastern outskirts of the state, which was an easy and unprotected prey for the steppe nomads.
In May 1663, Yuri Yermolaevich Kotransky, who was previously the governor of the town of Balakhna "to build a city", arrived on the Penza River with a hundred Cossacks-Cherkas. He became the founder and first builder of the city. For a fairly short time, the wooden Kremlin was cocked.
Watch cmera online in Penza
Responsibilities for the creation of settlements and fortifications near the fortress were assigned to the provincial administration, which was headed from the end of 1663 by the first Penza voivode Elisey Protasevich Lachinov. By the decree of the tsar of October 13, he “built towns and settlements on Penza near the city,” that is, he gave land to the inhabitants of the city: horse and foot Cossacks, gunners, collars. In 1665, the population of the city was about 3300 people (almost 700 households).