Spindlerv Mlyn is a famous spa town in the Czech Republic, which includes four districts that were previously independent villages: Prshedni Labska, Labska, Bedrichov.
Watch camera online in Spindleruv Mlyn
Name and location
The word "Mlyn" is translated from Czech as "mill". In the second half of the 18th century, there was a mill here that belonged to a German owner named Spindler.
Spindleruv Mlyn is located in the north of the Czech Republic, in the upper reaches of the Elbe River, next to the Polish border, not far from Germany. It is located on the territory of a mountain range called "Giant Mountains" or the Giant Mountains. The Krkonoše, aka Rübezal, in German, Czech and Polish folklore is a spirit that personifies bad weather in the mountains.
The earliest appearance of residents in this place was associated with excavations and mining of silver and copper. At that time, only seasonal workers who agreed to difficult working conditions lived near the mines in poor huts. The first documentary mentions of this settlement date back to the beginning of the 16th century, when the parish of St. Peter was founded. Already in the next century, mining in the village of Svati-Petr was limited.
The Bedrichov settlement appeared in 1746 around a small glass factory built, on the site of which a metallurgical and then a sawmill later arose. From this industrial past in the modern district of Bedrichov, only brief information on a memorial plate has survived.
Spindleruv Mlyn proper was founded at the end of the 18th century by lumberjacks who moved here from Silesia. In 1784 there were only five buildings, a mill and a forester's house. On July 13, 1793, King Franz II gave permission to the parish of St. Peter to build a new church to replace the old one, half destroyed.
Since the middle of the 19th century, tourism has become the most important factor in the development of the economy of this region.
Franz Kafka in 1922, immediately after his arrival in Spindleruv Mlyn, began work on the novel The Castle, which remained unfinished and was published posthumously.
In the years 1939-1945 Spindleruv Mlyn was part of the Reichsgau.